Monday 17 January 2022

Out and Proud

 


As those who have been following my various posts will know, I am a nurse on an oil and gas platform in the Northern North Sea, and have been out to the crew for some time, and am lucky in having good support and acceptance from the majority of the platform population. 

In a previous post, I discussed being supported by my manager on the platform and how that affected me, I took the step to nominate the manager for an in-house award for diversity which he duly won.

On the back of this, I was invited to join the company diversity team which had been recently established, and began to contribute to the group with material which was relevant to my transgender status, highlighting aspects such as transgender day of remembrance, the international AIDS day, and supporting transgender individuals in the workplace. 

This was noticed by one of the senior managers, who asked my help in submitting an article to OGUK, the industry governing body,  for publication on their diversity website and other media. 

The following is a slightly edited version the article published. (xxx added in place of names ) 



''Born and raised in Wiltshire, xxx   has represented Great Britain in canoeing, cycled around the world and now works as a medic on offshore installations, currently on the EnQuest Heather Alpha for MCL. But it hasn’t all been plain sailing. Being transgender, xxx had a hard time growing up and struggled to feel comfortable in his identify at work. That was until a colleague at EnQuest reached out to learn more.

I realised I was transgender from a very early age. Growing up wasn’t easy, and I tended to keep my gender issues to myself. I didn’t feel comfortable sharing my identity with anyone until I was in my mid-20s.

After I left home, I served as a nurse in the RAF for 11 years. As an accomplished canoe racer, while working with the RAF I regularly took part in regattas and races across the world, representing Great Britain. For a spell while in Japan, I also worked with the country’s women’s Olympic canoe team as a coach.

I love a challenge. And so, in the 1980s, my partner and I decided to cycle around Europe. We sold and gave away everything we owned (including the cat) and cycled through Europe for a year. But we were enjoying the trip so much that we decided to extend the route, finding ourselves in Thailand, and then Japan, before arriving in North America and flying home from Los Angeles. Over a period of six and a half years, we covered 36,000 miles and about 40 countries.

In pursuit of a new challenge and a different quality of life, I went to Aberdeen in search of work opportunities in the offshore energy sector, quickly securing a position working as a medic for a drilling company – flying out to The North West Hutton for Santa-Fe the next day.

Over a period of 40 years, I’ve worked on floating and fixed platforms, dive vessels and an onshore project in Mongolia. However, throughout this time, I struggled with my gender identity, which is very much a part of me. It’s not a lifestyle choice and not something I can simply put aside. I was unable to feel comfortable in my identity at work for decades, until a few years ago when a senior manager reached out to me directly to talk about it.

I was incredibly grateful when my manager at EnQuest asked me into his office to talk about my identity one day. He asked how I’d like to be addressed and how he could best support me at work. The conversation had a huge impact on me, boosting my confidence and making me much more comfortable in my working environment. Before then, I never experienced this level of support or opportunity to talk about my situation – either inside or outside work. It was always a taboo subject.

The offshore industry can be perceived as a ‘macho’ environment. However, the vast majority of those working in the industry may be unaware or simply not know how to talk about more sensitive issues, such as gender identity and sexuality. Nonetheless, they are incredibly compassionate, supportive and tolerant.

We are all unique individuals and have our own stories. Only by taking the time to understand who you are working with, what they require to feel valued and supported, and what their needs and fears are, will you get the best out of those you work with.

For those working with people who are different, never be afraid to ask questions and take the time to listen to them. Ask how they are, about their family and home life. Understand what makes them happy or unhappy. It will build an understanding of the complete individual. After all, everyone is ‘normal’ until you get to know them.’'

OGUK website - https://diversityandinclusioninenergy.co.uk/news-articles/being-transgender-in-the-oil-and-gas-industry-today/ (OGUK now called OEUK - Feb 2022) 

...........................

Not long after the publication of the article, our company diversity team was nominated as one of the finalist in the OGUK annual awards for diversity, which was a great honour and I was happy to be able to contribute a small part towards. Sadly we did not win the award but were overwhelmed to be a finalist. 

I have been offshore since 1987 and have seen immense changes in the industry, where the first drilling managers I worked with ran the rig with bullying and intimidation, safety was just a byword and getting the job done quickly was the only priory. However this has largely been replaced by a more modern way with a respectful and appreciative approach from management being the normal way of work nowadays. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that the industry would be in such a position to encourage diversity and have some one like me publicly share my story with my peers. 

I do know of other Transgender offshore and onshore workers in the Oil and Gas industry. Some, like Bobby Pickard and Samantha Nelson have been shining lights and are paving the way for others to follow and I hope my small contributions will help give others the courage to be themselves in the offshore world. 



4 comments:

  1. That's excellent news. I haven't come out myself, but I also have a very supportive workplace for all forms of diversity and inclusion, and last year I found myself on the UK LGBT Pride committee as a trans ally. The world -or at least parts of it - is slowly but surely changing for the better it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats Great SusieJay - we need some to be visible to help normalise things to allow acceptance and understanding !
    hugs
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. That's amazing news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn, - its nice to be able to put something positive out here for the community and I am working with a great diversity team in the company
    Hugs Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Humble Beginnings

As many of you know, we all have to start somewhere and this is my first jump into writing a blog, so bare with me and my misguided steps in...